Monday, July 28, 2008

Hallo!

So I took a journey down Karl Marx Allee.....the major show-me GDR celebrate communism avenue. Broad long and monumental. I'm not sure how its honored, or not, by the community? Hopefully the pictures will explain. I have been reading about our need and relevance of our own history since I've been here and seeing it too. Can history give us something new, if we need something new. Where does history extend its usefulness to live in the present? The Great Western Archive?

Cafe on Karl Marx Allee.

Historical Marker. There are about 40 in all put up inthe last 18 some years.....alll but a few look like this or worse.

Renovations to the Moscow Cafe.

a mural in a building now housing a thrift store

Image from the wall (der mauer)

One day I made a visit to the studio of Christian Rothman. I was very impressed and inspired by our conversation, his space and bodies of work. He left to Korea the next day for the biennale. We chatted about art and art in Berlin and it was very enlightening. Thanks Christian, good luck in Korea!

Christian in his studio.





Turkish market in Kreuzberg...

On the first nice summer day everyone was outside. I have a feeling Berliners really take advantage of the Summers...I gues winters are rather grey, but not super cold or snowy. Buffalo. So in any case a group of us spend most of the afternoon in a park in Friedrichshain (FREE-dricks-hine) at the invitation of Marcus who had created a solar oven. We sat in the park, played cards, and than after 4 hours of cooking we feasted on potatoes, garlic, corn, and apples! Cool.


Marcus preparing the Essen(food)

OBAMA!
As I walk to see Obama...

Brat purchased as I wait for Obama....

me and Mamoru waiting for Obama...

Obama. Yeah he played the part well. Very well received! I could not believe the crowd. We had a good seat.


So after obama we go to the reception of an exhibition inspired by a journey and analysis of Mexico City. Is crime, corruption, housing, community, etc. I found it very interesting although it was in german. I was reinspired to make a trip to the border. i found it ironic after seeing Obama,

and our work that needs to be done in regard to our virtual wall at the border.

The image was an incredible Ska mexican, salsa, rock band....yes from Mexico, at the after party, in an under garage boat dock off the Spree river. nice.

Recent studio shots and my first art purchace. A share of a project by artist, Jofroi Amaral at Gallerie Andrieu.

tschuss!

( many have asked about this...* Tschüss (t/YS) (chews) interjection German slang (from French: adieu) An informal goodbye among friends.