Sunday, August 10, 2008

So I spent several days gallery hopping in Berlin, just a few shots of some of the work I saw. Some of the galleries were on summer break or about to start, but many were open. With over 600 galleries in the city, still many to see. I was quite impressed with the variety and strength of much of the work, but many an artist from Kansas City could hold there own. I think a KC gallery would go well with the scene! I met with a few gallerists and hope to get some more audience for my work. May thoughts and inspirations, similarities and reminders within what I saw and spoke to folks about. The galleries seem spread about the city with several main pockets and strips of various quality. Many mixed use studio/exhibit spaces with monthly openings and closings. I like the balance of grassroots motivated artists working together and the high end galleries representing at the art fairs. I think Berlin is assembling a new fair including many non traditional spaces....lots going on to say the least.


Amy arrives and we travel to Alexanderplatz! So much to see and people to meet in Berlin. She was a bit lagged, but did well for day 1!

German beer with good froth and lace!

Stairs in Paris where we stayed. Late dinner, art, art, art, walking, architecture, art, food, gardens, gardens, cigar, Bordeaux, souffle, tar'tar, and more. Louvre, Musee d'Orsay, Luxembourg Gardens, and our new friend/guide Terence, who gave us an insiders peek and recommended our last meal. Many many thanks! Until we meet again!

Louvre. I documented many 'winged' images. Fine source material. My thoughts and inspirations are beyond writing now, but I look forward to sharing more and processing when I return. My sense of being American, culture, artists practice, and awareness has shifted....I think. I am blissfully overloaded! I am not sure what will manifest from all of this, but i try to remain open to all possibilities and aware of the many inspirations. If I can say...I have been existing differently and I hope to carry some of it with me onward.

VVG



Luxembourg Gardens



Terence

Now off to Emsland, the site of my paternal immigration. I am eager to see and feel and be in this place......Langen, Freren, Lingerich, and Gersten. Near the major sites of the Prussian war, WWI, and many a medieval skirmish.